Why Build Green?
Sustainable design optimizes the energy performance of a building by reducing the overall costs of long-term maintenance and operation. Improving energy efficiency and the indoor environment in the workplace reduces a building's carbon footprint and its impact on the natural environment.
Green buildings are also attractive to employees. Morrissey Engineering’s 4940 Building includes many amenities and conveniences that award and encourage green practices such as bicycle storage, recycling stations, showers and changing rooms, preferred parking for fuel-efficient vehicles and carpools as well as direct views of the outdoors for over 90 percent of staff. Improved indoor air quality and daylighting are also enjoyed by staff.
The savings are real and tangible. The 4940 Building has achieved the following energy efficiencies:
- Ranks in the top 10 percent of comparable buildings in the country for energy efficiency.
- Reduces CO2 emissions by more than 40 percent.
- Uses energy purchased from renewable sources for over 45 percent of total energy usage.
- Reduces potable water use by 46 percent.
- Designed to draw up to 10 percent of our energy from renewable sources including photovoltaic cells and a wind turbine.
- Provides energy savings of 48 percent compared to baseline.
At Morrissey Engineering, we are committed to designing and retrofitting high performance buildings that optimize energy efficiency and environmentally friendly components. Our depth of experience combined with a diverse and highly qualified staff allows us to provide you with sustainable designs that meet the industry’s highest level of operational efficiencies, environmental performance and customer satisfaction. Learn more about our LEED and ENERGY STAR consulting services.